Monday, February 28, 2011

Beets and (Stinging?!) Nettles

As a vegan, one of the things I have to focus on is making sure I'm eating foods that are rich in protein and iron. I don't think supplements are the answer, and I also try to stay away from packaged and processed foods, so I try my best to choose natural nutrients.... like beets and stinging nettles!

Beets: "At about 35 calories per half cup, beets are rich in vitamins A and C, and also give us folates, calcium, iron and potassium." (Thank you to theCitycook.com)




Stinging nettles: "Nettle is packed with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that are readily absorbed by our bodies when eaten as a whole food. They are high in calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, and B complex vitamins (among others) and they are also a great source of protein." (Thank you learningherbs.com)




I like to boil beets, I tried baking them once and they didn't taste as good as they do boiled. You can add them to a salad, mix them with other roasted veggies and drizzle with olive oil, and so much more.









Boiled Beets
Trim the beet greens
Wash
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil
Place the beets in the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer
Cover the pot and cook on a simmer for about 45 minutes
Poke with a knife to make sure they are tender
Drain
Peel the beets before they cool off
Slice
and enjoy!

Last Sunday I found these at the Moraga Farmer's Market. I was stoked that I found another source of protein but I was a little afraid to try them...

Stinging Nettles can be used on top of a pizza, in your pasta, or any other way you would eat leafy greens. But beware- they do sting, and evidently pretty badly. So do not touch them until they have been cooked. I purchased mine at the farmer's market where they had them in a plastic bag. I was advised to just dump them out of the bag and into a sauce pan without washing them. In order to take the "sting" out of stinging nettles, you have to cook them for 2 minutes in olive oil. I cautiously sauteed them in some garlic olive oil from the Temecula Olive Oil Co. for 2 1/2 minutes (to be on the safe side) and then drained and rinsed them after cooking them (because I was still a little afraid the stinging oils were still lingering). I topped my whole wheat, mushroom, garlic, and onion pizza with these greens and they added a ton of delicious flavor (and protein!) to the pizza.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I don't think I'd eat anything with the word "stinging" in the name. But I may have to try them. Don't plan to grow them in my garden though!

    ReplyDelete