Friday, April 22, 2011

Cashew Lime Pesto















I've been experimenting with my pesto, using different kinds of nuts since pine nuts are pricey, and I have decided that cashews are the winner. They create a creamier taste, which is nice since I do not add cheese. Today, I added in two new ingredients to my usual pesto: organic parsley and lime (from the Hanten's garden in Temecula) . Yes, lime. The lime married so well with the other flavors, and added an extra dash of freshness that was perfect for a spring time meal. I may or may not have licked the food processor clean. I am pleased to present to you my new favorite pesto recipe....

Cashew Lime Pesto
(Serves 1)
3/4 cup of organic basil
1/4 cup cashews
1/2 cup garlic olive oil (I used garlic olive oil from the Temecula Olive Oil Company and did not add garlic, if you don't have garlic olive oil I would recommend using regular olive oil and then adding 1 clove of garlic)
a dash of salt
a dash of organic Italian parsley
the juice from half of a good sized lime

Blend all of these ingredients together in your food processor until they form a sauce or paste and spread over something delicious.

Since my latest food obsession has been grilled cherry tomatoes and hearts of palm, I covered both in the rest of the lime juice, grilled, and added them to my cashew- lime-pesto-spaghetti and was pleasantly surprised by this delicious dish.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious and we are always looking for ways to use up limes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had this for dinner. What an amazing surprise! So completely flavorful! One of the best pastas I've ever tasted ... And believe me, I've eaten a lot of pasta over the last quarter century.

    ReplyDelete