Breakfast used to be my favorite meal of the day, but lately it's been less than exciting. I've been depending on instant oatmeal, and microwavable tofu scramble pocket sandwiches since I have to leave for work so early in the morning. Today's baking project was a step towards making breakfast my favorite meal of the day again-. and what's better than homemade cookies for breakfast?
Banana Chai Breakfast Cookies (Vegan)
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup of canola oil
2/3 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cardamom
two pinches of salt
2 cups of quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup of chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a fork, mash the banana
- Add oil, vanilla, sugar to the banana, and mix
- Then, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, salt)
- Mix in oatmeal, and chia seeds
- The dough should be pretty thick, and it might be better to mix with your hands at the point
- Roll out small balls of dough and arrange on your cookie sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes, and let cool
- Bananas: high in iron, high in B vitamins, fiber, and potassium
- Canola oil: contains omega-3
- Cinnamon: believed to improve energy, and circulation
- Oatmeal: lowers cholesterol, boosts immune system, rich in fiber, stabilizes blood sugar
- Chia seeds: reduce blood pressure, also contain omega-3, fiber, calcium, iron, and more.
If you like banana bread and chia tea lattes, you will love these cookies. They're also pretty tasty crumbled up and covered in almond milk as a homemade cereal or granola. Cheers to tasty mornings, enjoy!